Curriculum – Key Stage 3
Students joining KS3 at Budmouth will experience a wealth of subject specialists, delivering individual subject based lessons. The Curriculum is based upon far more than the individually timetabled lessons, it encompasses the full experience a student has across the year. This may include the support available before school in the Resources Centre after the breakfast club. It may involve one of the hundreds of clubs and activities available at lunch and after school. It may involve trips and visits as part of the subject based curriculum such as Galleries, Theatres or to visit a centre of industry. It may involve extra-curricular trips and visits such as adventurous activities on Dartmoor, at the Sailing Academy or an overseas trip on one of the many trips throughout the year.
The KS3 Curriculum at Budmouth includes the full National Curriculum in subject coverage and the content of the KS3 courses. We also compliment these subjects through a Tutor Programme covering activities and topics to ensure our students have wider skills and to support their health and wellbeing.
Budmouth Curriculum Statement
What we are trying to achieve at Budmouth Academy:
Our vision is to deliver an authentic education for the 21st century for children from the age of 11 to 19. We aim to ensure all students achieve high levels of success in a broad range of qualifications including GCSE and A Level examinations, alongside a broad range of Vocational qualifications, whilst at the same time equipping them with the knowledge and skills required to play an active and successful role in today’s highly competitive, fast-changing world.
Central to the philosophy of the curriculum delivered is that it should provide an authentic education for the world today. This requires the curriculum to allow for the development of the knowledge, skills and qualifications required for success in the world today. Children in Budmouth Academy learn in a challenging, engaging and supportive environment.
The Budmouth Curriculum Follows Three Guiding Principles:
The Nine Core Principles are a clear feature in every element of the academy:
- High Expectations – Being the very best you can be in your school and community
- Opportunity – Matching your interests with activities that will help you to leave school well-rounded and confident
- Challenge – Making your learning exciting and relevant to the real world
- Talent Development – Enhancing your natural strengths and abilities so you thrive in school and beyond
- Innovation and Enterprise – Supporting your creativity by encouraging you to ask ‘Why?’ and ‘Why not?’
- Makers and Creators – Being a creator, not just a consumer, of technology in our digital world
- Global – Having the cultural awareness needed to communicate in our interconnected world
- Employability – Equipping you with the skills and abilities you’ll need to excel in our ever-changing world
- With Big Dreams and Hard Work, Anything is Possible – Aspirations means to dream about the future while being inspired in the present to reach those dreams.
Within Budmouth Employability and Future Skills are the centrepiece to educational provision:
- Cross-cultural competency
- Creative and adaptive thinking
- Cognitive load management
- Media literacy
- Productivity and accountability
The Budmouth Curriculum
The curriculum has three elements:
A framework for setting out the aims of a programme of education, including the knowledge, understanding and skills to be gained at each stage.
Translating the framework over time into a structure and narrative, within an institutional context
Evaluating what knowledge, understanding and skills pupils have gained against expectations.
Budmouth Academy has developed the curriculum in each subject area to promote the above three elements, ensuring progression in each subject area, and value the development of the 11 identified future skills. We recognise that, as well as knowledge, students need to develop their ability and skills to apply and repurpose knowledge in order to survive in a rapidly changing world. In applying knowledge to real-world contexts and allowing young learners to take the lead in using this knowledge to find solutions and answers, learning is deepened.
For more information about curriculum we offer at Budmouth, please contact Pete Hudson – firstname.lastname@example.org